Thursday, June 13, 2002

Perhaps the answer to the (in some quarters) interminable question of the reviled "Why Do We Blog?"- school of navel-gazing, can be found here:
The need to express oneself in writing springs from a maladjustment to life, or from an inner conflict which the adolescent (or the grown man) cannot resolve in action. Those to whom action comes as easily as breathing rarely feel the need to break loose from the real, to rise above, and describe it.... I do not mean that it is enough to be maladjusted to become a great writer, but writing is, for some, a method of resolving a conflict, provided they have the necessary talent.
Andre Maurois (1885–1967)

I suppose there's some truth in that, but it seems to ignore that for some, writing is action and as such is as legitimate an example of living as any other activity. I think there's scope for a lot more analysis here - but time constraints compel me to heft my maladjusted body into another batch of activities - so I shall dash my 'pen' down with a theatrical flourish and go resolve.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home